Please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions below to get your publishing questions answered.
1. How do I submit a manuscript to you?
Before you submit your manuscript, please review the following checklist:
- The book is in a word processing file.
- The book is ONE file.
- The book is done in Microsoft Word. If the book is in any other software program it can be converted, but please contact us BEFORE you proceed.
- Your book has been edited by someone besides yourself. If you prefer, Bookstand Publishing can edit the book for you, at an additional charge of $0.02 a Word.
- The book is set in single pages, not columns or two-page layouts.
- The cover artwork is separate from the book file.
- The cover artwork is a TIFF or JPEG file of high resolution (i.e., a minimum of 300 dpi).
This is everything we require.
When your book is ready, you can e-mail us at https://bookstand.wetransfer.com, or call us to make the necessary arrangements at 1-866-793-9365.
2. How do I choose a cover for my book?
Please look at this article to see your cover options: Choosing a Cover For Your Self Published Book
3. What are your prices?
Please look at Featured Publishing Packages to see the packages we offer and what they cost:
4. Can I preview your contract?
Yes. Click here to view our publishing contract. Our publishing contract is non-exclusive and you keep ALL your rights.
5. What are your royalties?
Bookstand Publishing pays author royalties based on the retail (cover price) that is assigned to your book.
Here is our royalty schedule:
- 70% royalties on all Kindle sales
- 50% royalties on all other eBook sales
- 30% on Paperback or Hardcover sales through our Amazon powered IntheBookstand.com bookstore.
- 10% on print book sales through all other retail channels including direct sales on Amazon, and Barnesandnoble.com
Royalty checks are paid four times a year. Royalties are paid when cumulative royalties earned exceed $25. Royalty payments may be made through Paypal upon request.
We do not pay royalties on author wholesale orders you place via our wholesale order system since we offer you a deeply discounted price on each book. (For example, if your paperback book with a black and white interior is less than 100 pages, your direct wholesale price is $4.50 plus shipping. If this book retails at $13.95 you will make a profit $9.76 for each wholesale book you sell.)
6. Where will my book be available?
Your paperback and/or hardcover book will be :
- Posted on www.inthebookstand.com
- Posted on Amazon
- Posted on Barnesandnoble.com
- Registered on Bowkers Books in Print
- Available through the book wholesalers Ingram and Baker & Taylor making it available to more than 25,000 different bookstores and other vendors throughout the United States and the world
Your ebook will be:
- Posted as a Kindle Edition on Amazon
- Posted as a Nook Edition on Barnesandnoble.com
- Posted as an Epub Edition on www.itunes.com
7. How Much are Additional Author Copies?
You can view our price for Additional Author Copies here.
8. Why should I use Bookstand Publishing?
- We include Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, and Apple iPad eBook editions of your book with our standard publishing package. Most other self-publishing companies charge you extra for this or offer you an eBook that is not distributed on Amazon.com, Barnesnandnoble.com, or iTunes.com.
- We provide Classic Interior Design and Select Cover Design with your book publishing package. Many self-publishers do not offer this or they charge significantly for this service.
- Our Book Consultants and Graphic Artists are experienced professionals. In addition, unlike many self-publishing companies, we do not outsource our services overseas.
- We are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau.
9. I have another self-publishing company that is offering me a 50% discount if I sign up by Friday. Can you do this for me?
Some self-publishing companies use very aggressive sales techniques, including offering discounts so they can make an immediate sale. Upon closer examination, however, you will find that our standard rates compare favorably to their “discounted” rates.
We don’t believe in aggressive sales techniques or phony discounts.
10. I heard I can get my book published for free at Lulu or CreateSpace.
If you know exactly what you are doing, if you do all the work yourself, and if you don’t plan on purchasing any printed books for yourself, then you can publish a book for free using one of these companies. However, if you want your book to look professional and you want someone with experience to guide you through the publishing process, you should purchase professional services from a company like Bookstand Publishing.
Lulu and CreateSpace offer professional services for an additional fee, but you will find that the standard services included in Bookstand Publishing’s publishing packages compare very favorably with their added-cost professional services.
11. How do the Bookstand Publishing services compare with Xlibris, Outskirts Press, Lulu and Create Space?
Please look at our comparison of publishing services.
12. Do I need to Copyright my book?
Your manuscript has a form of copyright protection from the moment that you create it. Any book you publish with us will include a copyright page listing you as the copyright owner.
This is different from registering your book with the U.S. Copyright Office. This registration does not give your copyright protection — since you already have it — but it does give you additional protection, and your book is officially recorded with the U.S. Copyright Office. Our more-comprehensive book publishing packages include registering your book with the U.S. Copyright Office. Registration with the U.S. Copyright Office can be included with the Classic and Custom Book Publishing Packages for an additional $70.
13. Do I need a Library of Congress number?
Probably not. Nowadays, only a few academic libraries require a Library of Congress number to sell your book. However, if you would like one, we can get one for you for a fee of $75.
14. Can I print a book in a language other than English?
Not a problem. Simply make sure your book is delivered to Bookstand Publishing in print-ready Adobe Acrobat format. We have published titles in Taiwanese, Spanish, Russian, German, Korean, and Italian, in addition to English.
15. What about my book’s price?
You can offer your book at any price. The only qualification is that the book must retail for at least $4 more than the Author Discounted Rate. (See here for the Author Discounted Rates.) For example, a book with a per-copy Author Discounted Rate of $4.50 could retail for as low as $8.50. Conversely, for the same book, there would be no upper limit at which the book could be priced.
For eBooks, we recommend that your eBook versions be priced at between $2.99 and $9.99. (Apple iTunes requires that your book price end with .99.)
16. What about pictures?
We encourage photos or drawings as long as they are part of the document. Black-and-white images are fine at any location in the book. If you want to insert limited color images in your book, they will print in gray scale unless you purchase a Color Interior where every page can have color.
You must be aware of a graphics term called “RESOLUTION” when dealing with images. The resolution of an image is measured in DOTS PER INCH, abbreviated as dpi. A print-quality image must be 300 dpi or higher. Images taken from the Web, however, are 72 dpi in most cases, and at this much lower resolution appear blurry in a printed book. When scanning images, you must set the scanner resolution option for 300 dpi minimum.
17. What categories of books may I submit to Bookstand Publishing?
We will accept all works that are in good taste (in our judgment). We will not accept pornography. We will also not accept any books that promote hate, or the overthrowing of any government.
18. Can I submit my book to others also?
Yes. When you submit your work to Bookstand Publishing, we have a non-exclusive license. This means you can submit your work to print publishers, to our competitors, and even to movie companies, if you wish.
19. What is an ISBN?
The International Standard Book Number (ISBN) is a 13-digit number that uniquely identifies books and book-like products published internationally.
The purpose of the ISBN is to establish and identify one title or edition of a title from one specific publisher, and is unique to that edition, allowing for more efficient marketing of products by booksellers, libraries, universities, wholesalers, and distributors. For more information and application, go to:
20. Do I need an ISBN?
Yes. We include one on each printed title at no additional cost to the author. We also include an ISBN number on the Epub version of your book submitted to iTunes.com).
Most online and brick-and-mortar stores will not sell your book unless it has an ISBN number.
If you already have an ISBN number for your book, please let us know. You can include it on the book and in the web page we create for you. We also supply an EAN bar code, with the price embedded, for the book cover.
21. How long does the process take to get my book into print?
From the time you submit your manuscript to the time you have all your books in hand and your book is available for sale on Amazon.com and Barneandnoble.com, etc., is approximately eight weeks. Editing and multiple rounds of corrections can extend this time.
22. What if I want to update my book later?
We offer a file replacement service for both the book block and the cover art.
23. What if I don’t have my manuscript in an electronic format?
We have the ability to accurately scan hardcopy manuscripts and existing books at a charge of $4 per page. However, keep in mind that if you have a bound book, it will have to be taken apart to go through the scanning process. The book will thus be destroyed in the process, although the pages themselves will remain intact.